Orienteering at Freeman-Kame Forest Preserve, 10/22/17
- Well, first Orange course, and we finished it. Actually finished it faster than someone, too.
- Donated copious amounts of blood to the brambles of Illinois.
OA Fall Fellowship, 9/29/17
- Zak was awesome as the "Mighty Chief". I hope he does it again.
- Quinn managed as well as can be expected, given the level of cooperation and competence available. Definitely earned his "Herding Cats" merit badge.
McCook Reservoir, 9/17/17
- About as fun as a big hole for collecting rainwater and sewerage can be. 'Nuff said.
A River Through History, 9/10/17
- Very nice, but not quite up to Feast of the Hunter's Moon.
- Much closer, though, so overall, comparable.
- Tomahawk throwing is as fun as you might think. And yes, we have some marksmen with this as well as rifle, bow and... never mind.
Bristol Renaissance Fair, Scout Weekend, 7/15/17
- When your costumes are so good people mistake you for staff, you win!
Owasippe Scout Reservation, 6/24/17
- Scout camp is not supposed to be a fat farm! Food provider should be FIRED!
- More truly IS merrier. More adults made light work. Can't wait to test that axiom with Scouts.
- Actually, we did. Four Scouts is a lot better than two Scouts. Can we try for six next year?
- Mid-week puzzle room was a great idea, and might be repeated, given opportunity.
- Addendum: Food supplier WAS fired.
Cimmarron Archery, 6/4/17
- A new activity for us, but one to be repeated. Much more fun than just shooting at the same target ad infinitum
- Part of trail was unsafe due to recent heavy weather. Expect better next time.
- Targets were a little beaten up, and a few were found inappropriate by Scoutmaster (too humanoid).
- Our Scouts might lose some weight if they had to shoot their food, but probably wouldn't starve.
Blackwell Forest Preserve, 5/5/17
McFetridge Ice Arena, 4/8/17
- Archery range was ideal.
- Campsite was comfortable, as before.
- Weather was a challenge, and once again, lost a pop-up shelter to wind.
- Challenging, but fun.
- Shoe-tying is a mandatory skill
- Must schedule this for hot weather
Camp Oakarro, 3/25/17
- Dutch oven cooking went very well. New two-meal plus snacks protocol seems to work very well.
- Orienteering program was successful, but occasionally frustrating.
- Sunday morning bug-out was quicker, easier and more organized than accomplished in quite some time. Credit to PL, QM and new tote system.